Monday, October 19, 2009

Chile Verde

I had to rearrange my meal plan for this week because I had a pork roast that needed to be used up. I got this recipe from Amy Grow and it is so yummy. We triple it every time like she suggests because leftovers and even better! I'm no photographer as many of the contributors on here are so my pictures will be nothing short of mediocre. :)

My girls helped with the staging. Lots of spices in this recipe. Notice the big block of wrapped cheese. What do you do with stuff like that when you buy in bulk?

Have you tried these? They are fresh tortillas and they are so yummy. You just quickly brown them on both sides in a dry frying pan. I will never eat any other kind of tortilla again! (Think Cafe Rio tortillas.) I buy mine at Sam's Club or Costco. I've never looked to see if they have them other places. They are in the refrigerated section. So good!


Josh was late getting home so we were starving and devoured it all quickly. We also shared some with friends that wanted to try it so this was all that was left when I remembered I needed a picture. Oops! I'll get better at this I hope.



Chile Verde ~ Amy Grow

1 Cup water
1 pkg cubed pork chops
1 beef Bouillon cube
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp oregano
¼ tsp pepper
1 can diced green chilies
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder

flour tortillas
grated cheese

Brown pork chops in oil. Pour water in with pork and bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients (except for tortillas and cheese) and simmer for 20 minutes. Thicken it with cornstarch or flour. Spoon a couple of spoonfuls of chili verde in tortilla with some grated cheese on top. Roll it up. Or some chili verde (smothered style) on top of burrito and add cheese. ENJOY! I usually triple this recipe for my family.

5 comments:

  1. Yum. I really want to make these! I love that you took a staging picture. Oh, and you can find those uncooked tortillas at Walmart near the cheese, with the Mexican cheeses and stuff. I agree- they are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, you can get those tortillas at Reams, that is where we've been buying them for a long time. We LOVE them!!
    This looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.
    BTW- when we buy big blocks of cheese I either shred it up and freeze in smaller amounts or just cut up into sections and freeze. I've never had a problem freezing cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was amazing! I can't wait to make it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so yummy! I'll have to try it. And I love those tortilla shells too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy and I've never heard of those tortillas so thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete