Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Southwestern Sloppy Joes with Honey Lime Coleslaw

It seems like I've started most of my posts lately with "I don't normally like such-and-such" or "Ben doesn't usually eat yada-yada". This post is no different.....

Ben is not a fan of sloppy joes. I think I've asked him why about 10 times in the course of our relationship. Do I remember? Nope. Either I'm a very bad wife or the answer was just that vague.

Anyway, when I saw this recipe on Debbi Does Dinner I was fairly sure that this sloppy joe would be the exception. And I was RIGHT! Boo-yah! In fact, Ben's review, simply stated, "This is good. And not just for a sloppy joe."

I didn't take a picture, sorry, but Debbi has two yummy pictures on her post.

enjoy!

Southwest Sloppy Joes with Honey Lime Coleslaw

Honey Lime Coleslaw:

2 tbsp. mayonnaise

2 tbsp. sour cream (or use all mayo)

3 tbsp. honey

2 tbsp. lime juice

2 tbsp. chopped cilantro

Salt and pepper

Pinch of cayenne

about 4 cups of coleslaw mix


Sloppy Joe

1 lb. ground turkey

1 onion, chopped

1/2 cup ketchup

1 can black beans

1/2 cup frozen corn

1 can diced green chiles

1 tbsp. brown sugar

2 tsp. mustard

1 tsp. ground cumin

Salt and pepper


Combine coleslaw mix and coleslaw ingredients, mix and refrigerate until ready to use.

Cook ground turkey and onion. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir to combine. Let simmer for about 10 minutes or until it thickens and is the desired consistency. Serve on sandwich thins with coleslaw on top if desired.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! Though I have one question since I don't make coleslaw ever. What do you mean by coleslaw mix?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can buy a package at the grocery store, in the same place you'd find bagged salad mixes/greens. It's basically all the veggies already shredded for you, without the dressing.

    ReplyDelete