- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 whole pita breads
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the lemon juice, oil, 1/2 teaspoon garlic, mustard and oregano; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 1 hour. In a small bowl, combine the cucumber, yogurt, dill and remaining garlic; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Drain and discard marinade. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the chicken for 7-8 minutes or until juices run clear. Spoon onto each pita bread. Top with yogurt mixture and onion; fold in half. Yield: 2 servings.
- 1 cup plain yogurt (if you can find the extra-thick Greek yogurt it's best)
- 4 garlic cloves; roasted and finely chopped (see below)
- 1/2 lemon; juiced
- 2 tsp. finely chopped mint
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cucumber without seeds
- Salt to taste
1. Place whole, un-peeled garlic gloves in a small, un-oiled skillet over medium low heat and cook for about two minutes per side - until lightly browned. Peel and chop finely.
2. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
Note: The sauce is better if you allow it to sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before using.